Associate Professor and Chair
Dr. DeRuisseau conducts research to investigate potential mediators of skeletal muscle dysfunction under conditions that include disuse, aging, and trisomy (a model of Down syndrome). An emphasis is placed on how iron, oxidants, and antioxidants contribute to skeletal muscle mass and functional responses. Work in Dr. DeRuisseau’s laboratory has been supported by NIH R03, R36, R15, and Diversity Supplement funding mechanisms.
Post-Doctoral Fellow, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
Ph.D., Movement Science, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
M.S., Exercise Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
B.S., Exercise Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
Skeletal muscle physiology, sarcopenia, skeletal muscle disuse, oxidative stress, iron metabolism.
Dr. DeRuisseau’s current research is focused in the following areas:
- Morphology and function of upper airway and diaphragm muscle in Ts65Dn mice, a model of Down syndrome
- Skeletal muscle functional and biochemical responses to elevated iron status
- Effects of curcumin exposure on skeletal muscle mass and function
PPE 295 – Introduction to Exercise Science
PPE 497 – Physiology of Exercise
PPE 795 – Skeletal Muscle Physiology
- Liang C., M.C. Mickey, C.N. Receno, M. Atalay, and K.C. DeRuisseau. Functional and biochemical responses of skeletal muscle following a moderate degree of systemic iron loading in mice. J Appl Physiol. 126(4): 799-809, 2019.
- Receno C.N., C. Liang, D.L. Korol, M. Atalay, K.S. Heffernan, T.D. Brutsaert, and K.C. DeRuisseau. Effects of Prolonged Dietary Curcumin Exposure on Skeletal Muscle Biochemical and Functional Responses of Aged Male Rats. Int J Mol Sci. 20(5), 1178; doi:10.3390/ijms20051178, 2019.
- Kim, Y., S.S. Men, C. Liang, C.N. Receno, T. Brutsaert, D.L. Korol, K.S. Heffernan, and K.C. DeRuisseau. Effects of long-term exposures to low iron and branched-chain amino acid containing diets on aging skeletal muscle of F344BN rats. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 43(2): 165-173, 2018.
- Cowley, P.M., D.R. Nair, L.R. DeRuisseau, S. Keslacy, M. Atalay, and K.C. DeRuisseau. Oxidant production and SOD1 protein expression in single skeletal myofibers from Down syndrome mice. Redox Biol. 13: 421-425, 2017.