The new Falk College Meditation Room is for use by Falk College students, faculty and staff. The Meditation Room is located in the Falk College Student Services office (300 MacNaughton Hall). The purpose of the Meditation Room is to create a place of peace and refuge while learning and working that supports the holistic wellness of students, faculty and staff. It is open at 9:30am and close at 4:30pm Monday through Friday (unless the office is closed for the day due to a holiday). The room is equipped with Zafu cushions, yoga mats and chairs. To create a peaceful and quiet environment, entry into the room will be on the hour or half hour and you must sign in on the room use log (you may use initials).
In order to facilitate mindfulness/meditation, guided meditation and music CD’s are available in the room and there are many websites where you can listen to (and download) free guided meditations that you can listen to on your electronic device (with earphones). Some people will wish to simply sit in silence when they are meditating and becoming mindful (fully present in the moment).
Room Use Guidelines
- Silence and mutual respect are expected at all times; music is to be listened to through earphones or earplugs with all musical devices (e.g., phones, MP3 players, laptops, etc.). Please only use the CD’s if alone or with the consent of others in the room.
- Food and beverages are not permitted in the meditation room
- Cell phones must be placed on silent upon entry
- Shoes and/or boots must be removed before entering room
- Place backpacks under table
- Use Purell to clean hands upon entering room. Use Wipes to clean off yoga mats after use.
- This room is not be used as a lounge, study room, a meeting room or for other purposes other than meditation/mindfulness.
- Candles, burning oils, incense or any other flammable items are not permitted in the meditation room.
Guided meditations will be available for students during midterms and finals (notification of these sessions will sent through email). The room may be reserved by faculty/staff to support classroom activities.