Linda Stone FishM.S.W., Ph.D.
Falk Family Endowed Professor of Marriage and Family Therapy
Dr. Stone Fish has researched, practiced, taught, and supervised trauma-informed couple and family therapy for over 30 years. Dr. Stone Fish also specializes in working with LGBTQ families. She recently co-authored the book, “Treating complex trauma: A relational blueprint for collaboration and change,” which is based on a clinically evaluated treatment model for individual, couple, and family therapy with clients who have experienced violence and complex trauma. She has been training nationally and internationally on the Collaborative Change Model, and recently received funding from two local community agencies to do a preliminary study on the training model for work with Syracuse inner city helping professionals who may be suffering from vicarious traumatization.
Ph.D., Purdue University Marriage and Family Therapy Program, Child Development and Family Studies Department (1985)
M.S.W., Jane Addams College of Social Work, University of Illinois at Chicago Circle (1979)
B.A., Psychology, Northwestern University (1976)
Families with LGBT youth, collaborative couple and family therapy with complex trauma
MFT 865 - Cultural Diversity: Family Theory and Practice
MFT 663 - Family Systems across the Life Cycle
MFT 661 - Introduction to Family Therapy Practice
MFT/HTW 603 - Introduction to Trauma Studies
MFT 600 - Family Therapy with Children and Adolescents
SWK 326 - Persons in Social Context
SWK 328 - Human Diversity/Social Context
- Harvey, R. G., Stone Fish L. & Levatino, P. (In Press). Sexual identity development and heteronormativity. In Wampler, K.S., Miller, R.B., Seedall, R.B., McWey, L., Blow, A.J., Rastogi, M. & Singh, R. (Eds.) The Handbook of Systemic Family Therapy. NY: Wiley.
- Stone Fish, L., & Dallal-Ferne, D. (In Press). The Semitism schism: Revisited Jewish–Palestinian legacies in a family therapy training context. In McGoldrick, M., & Hardy, K. (Eds.) Revisioning Family Therapy, 3rd Edition.
- Stone Fish, L., & Barrett, M.J. (2018). Adult survivors of sexual abuse in couple and family therapy. Encyclopedia of Couple and Family Therapy.
- Stone Fish, L., & Harvey, R.C. (2018). Lesbian couples. Encyclopedia of Couple and Family Therapy.
- Coolhart, D., & Stone Fish, L. (2018). Transgender people in couple and family therapy. Encyclopedia of Couple and Family Therapy.
- Lane, S. D., Rubinstein, R. A., Bergen-Cico, D., Jennings-Bey, T., Haygood-El, A., Stone Fish, L., Larsen, D. A., Fullilove, M. T., Reichert-Schimpff, T., et al. (2018). Neighborhood trauma due to violence: A multilevel analysis. Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved.
- Barrett, M.J., & Stone Fish, L. (2016). In Edwards, J.K., Young, A., Nikels, H.J. (Eds.), The Collaborative Change Model: a Strength Based Blueprint for the Treatment of Relational Complex Trauma. Handbook of Strengths-Based Clinical Practices. NY: Routledge.
- Harvey, R., & Stone Fish, L. (2015). Queer youth in family therapy. Family Process. 1-22.
- Barrett, M.J., & Stone Fish, L. (May, 2014). Treating complex trauma: A relational blueprint for change. NY: Routledge.
- Stone Fish, L.., & Harvey, R.C. (2012) Raising lesbian, gay, bisexual youth: A family therapy approach. In Bigner, J. & Wetchler, J. (Eds.). Handbook of affirmative LGBT couple and family therapy. NY: Routledge.