Public Health at Syracuse—Where Community = Classroom
Service-learning and community engagement are cornerstones of public health education at Falk College. By purposefully integrating classroom instruction with hands-on opportunities, longstanding faculty-agency collaborations locally and globally allow us to customize student learning experiences while helping address some of today’s most pressing public health needs.
Our vision is to advance population health through education, research, and community engagement with a mission to prepare leaders to advance health equity in Central New York communities and beyond.
We create opportunities for both faculty and students to advance health equity while providing a high-quality curriculum that is grounded in social justice. Through excellent teaching, we advance both the science and practice of public health. Our scholarly pursuits support the multiple communities that we are a part of, and we recognize that we have a responsibility to engage with our civic partners to achieve diversity and inclusion. We welcome, encourage, and respect diverse voices, experiences, perspectives, and approaches while we work together to achieve integrity, high standards of excellence, professional ethics, and personal integrity in all that we do.
We strive to eliminate health inequities through all the work we do in our research, teaching, community engagement, and advocacy.
Join us to help us make a difference in the world around us!
Our programs include:
- A bachelor of science in public health (BSPH) is among the first in New York State to earn CEPH accreditation.
- A master of public health (MPH) – a 2-year professional degree program for individuals seeking training and experience in applied public health practice with a focus in global health.*
- A masters of science in public health (MSPH) – a 2-year degree focused on research methods and analytic skills in concert with mentored research culminating in a thesis.
- An accelerated BSPH/MPH – an advanced public health practice program in which both degrees may be earned in 5 years.*
- An accelerated BSPH/MSPH – an advanced research focused program in which both degrees may be earned in in 5 years.
- Graduate-level certificates of advanced study (CAS) in global health and addiction studies are also offered.
- Undergraduate minors in public health and addiction studies offer unique and marketable complements to another major.
* Falk College at Syracuse University is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health. The accreditation review will address the BSPH, MPH, and the BSPH/MPH. Other degrees and areas of study offered by this institution will not be included in the unit of accreditation review.
Our undergraduate program prepares students to work in a variety of public health positions and newly emerging preventive health areas in corporate wellness centers, college health services, and non-profit agencies with a health promotion or harm reduction focus. Many students plan for graduate education in public health, health administration, health-related social sciences (medical anthropology, medical sociology, or health psychology), health policy and the law, and the health professions (medicine, nursing, physician assistance, pharmacy, or dentistry). Our graduate programs prepare students to pursue careers in health analytics, global health, or as generalist public health practitioners. Students are also prepared to advance their education further in Doctorate of Public Health or Ph.D. Public Health programs.
Graduates of Falk College’s public health program have unlimited potential to positively impact the world. The change you want to see in the world starts with your education —and it starts today.
News & Headlines