Public Health at Syracuse—Where Community = Classroom
Service learning and community engagement are cornerstones of public health education at Falk College. By purposefully integrating classroom instruction with hands-on opportunities, longstanding faculty-agency collaborations locally and globally allow us to customize student learning experiences while helping address some of today’s most pressing public health needs.
Falk’s Public Health programs include:
- A bachelor of science degree in public health among the first in New York State to earn CEPH accreditation.
- A master of science in public health focused on research methods and biostatistics competencies in concert with mentored research culminating in a thesis.
- A master of science in global health focused on the factors influencing the health and well-being of children and families in the context of the global community. A graduate-level certificate of advanced study in global health is also offered.
- A master of arts degree in addiction studies, and a graduate-level certificate of advanced study in addiction studies.
- Undergraduate minors in public health as well as other related fields, including addiction studies, health and wellness, food studies and nutrition, among others, that offer unique and marketable complements to another major.
Opportunities for research working side-by-side with faculty abound, with topics including community and work disparities for people with disabilities, malaria elimination, mindfulness-based meditation for Veterans with posttraumatic stress and the Syracuse Lead Study, among many others.
Our undergraduate program prepares students to work in a variety of public health positions and newly emerging preventive health areas in corporate wellness centers, college health services, insurance agencies, and pharmaceutical companies. Many students plan for graduate education in public health, health administration, health-related social sciences (medical anthropology, medical sociology, or health psychology), health policy and the law, and the health professions (medicine, nursing, physician assistance, pharmacy, or dentistry).
Graduates of Falk College’s public health program have unlimited potential to change the world. The change you want to see in the world starts with you—and it starts today.