Public Health at Syracuse—Where Community = Classroom
Service learning and community engagement are cornerstones of public health education at Falk College. By purposefully integrating classroom instruction with hands-on opportunities, longstanding faculty-agency collaborations locally and globally allow us to customize student learning experiences while helping address some of today’s most pressing public health needs.
The Syracuse University public health programs’ vision is to be a leader in leveraging public health research and education to create the greatest impact on global health.
The program’s mission is to improve the health for all people through scholarship, education, and service; thereby creating exceptional leaders who will impact public health, promote individual and community well-being, and effect change among local, national, and global communities.
The program’s goals to accomplish our mission:
- Prepare practitioners and leaders in the field of public health to have a positive impact on public challenges.
- Achieve excellence in teaching and scholarship.
- Foster a richly diverse and inclusive community of learning and opportunity in our students, faculty, and curriculum.
- Inform the practice of public health through local, national, and global partnerships.
Falk’s Public Health programs include:
- A bachelor of science in public health (BSPH) is among the first in New York State to earn CEPH accreditation.
- A masters of public health (MPH) – a 2-year degree focused on applied practice, taking into account the factors that influence the health and well-being of children and families in the context of the global community.*
- A master of science in public health (MSPH) – a 2-year degree focused on research methods and analytic skills in concert with mentored research culminating in a thesis.
- An accelerated BSPH/MPH – an advanced public health practice program in which both degrees may be earned in 5 years.*
- An accelerated BSPH/MSPH – an advanced research focused program in which both degrees may be earned in in 5 years.
- Graduate-level certificate of advanced study (CAS) in global health is also offered.
- Undergraduate minors in public health and addiction studies offer unique and marketable complements to another major.
* Falk College at Syracuse University is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health. The accreditation review will address the BSPH, MPH, and the BSPH/MPH. Other degrees and areas of study offered by this institution will not be included in the unit of accreditation review.
Our undergraduate program prepares students to work in a variety of public health positions and newly emerging preventive health areas in corporate wellness centers, college health services, and non-profit agencies with a health promotion or harm reduction focus. Many students plan for graduate education in public health, health administration, health-related social sciences (medical anthropology, medical sociology, or health psychology), health policy and the law, and the health professions (medicine, nursing, physician assistance, pharmacy, or dentistry). Our graduate programs prepare students to pursue careers in health analytics, global health, or as generalist public health practitioners. Students are also prepared to advance their education further in Doctorate of Public Health or Ph.D. Public Health programs.
Graduates of Falk College’s public health program have unlimited potential to positively impact the world. The change you want to see in the world starts with your education —and it starts today.