Marriage and Family Therapy programs at Syracuse
Syracuse University’s Marriage and Family Therapy department demonstrates commitment to diversity and inclusion. Faculty and staff prepare students to value the creation of socially-just, anti-racist, LGBTQ-Affirmative and anti-discriminatory environments. Students are expected to engage in cultural humility, awareness of self in relation to others, and an understanding of psychosocial and cultural contexts of issues presented in clinical practice and research. We believe that valuing each other’s similarities and differences helps us to deepen our understanding of relationships in systems. Students are required to see clients with diverse backgrounds/experiences and may not choose their caseloads based on race, class, gender/gender expression, sexual orientation, religion, culture, age, or other diversity category.
‘First’, ‘only’ and ‘specialized’ are words that describe many of Falk’s Marriage and Family Therapy programs, including…
- The first accredited MFT master’s degree in the country
- Along with an accredited MFT online master’s degree for students interested in studying at their own pace
- The first and only accredited PhD in MFT in the State of New York
- The first 60-credit MFT master’s degree in the State of New York
- The only MFT-MSW dual degree program in the country
- Certificates of Advanced Studies (CAS) programs in Child Therapy and Trauma-Informed Practice, and in collaboration with other departments, we offer a Substance Abuse track.
- Specialized training to work with marginalized populations, refugee and immigrant families, at-risk youth, and the LGBQ and Transgender communities
- MFT students gain hands-on clinical experience in the on-site Couple and Family Therapy Center, with therapy rooms equipped for live and digitally recorded supervision.
Learn more about applying to our programs. Masters applications are now being accepted. PhD applications are due by Dec 15th with in-person interviews in January.
The Falk College Department of Marriage and Family Therapy is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE). For information about student achievement, visit our COAMFTE Student Achievement Data page.
Syracuse University is an accredited marriage and family therapy training program approved by the International Accreditation Commission for Systemic Therapy Education.