Assistant Teaching Professor
Tristan Martin (he/him/his) joined the Department of Marriage and Family Therapy in the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics in Fall 2022 as an assistant teaching professor. He teaches classes in family therapy, including Sexual Issues for the Helping Professional.
Prior to Fall 2022, Martin was an adjunct instructor both in the Marriage and Family Therapy and Human Development and Family Science departments at Syracuse University.
Martin’s research focuses on transgender sexuality with the intersections of relational and erotic diversity. He has presented at multiple national conferences and contributed to publications in the field of family therapy and transgender issues, including the “Handbook of LGBTQ-Affirmative Couple and Family Therapy” and “Sexual and Relationship Therapy.”
Martin was a recipient of the Summer Dissertation Fellowship at Syracuse University in 2019 for his dissertation “Transgender Congruence and Sexual Satisfaction in Trans Masculine Adults: The Role of Affirmative Sexual Partners.”
Martin is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) and AASECT-certified Sex Therapist. His clinical work focuses on providing support for the LGBTQ community, with specialization in supporting gender transition for youth and adults.
Martin earned a Ph.D. in Marriage and Family Therapy from Syracuse University in 2020, a Certificate of Advanced Study in Sex Therapy from the University of Wisconsin-Stout in 2020, a master’s degree in family therapy from Mercer University in 2016, and a B.A. (with honors) in 2014 from Huntingdon College.
Ph.D. in Marriage and Family Therapy, Syracuse University
CAS in Sex Therapy, University of Wisconsin-Stout
M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy, Mercer University
HFS 388 Human Sexuality
MFT 567 Sexual Issues for Helping Professional
MFT 663 Research Methods
MFT 684 Cultural Diversity
MFT 688 Relationship Therapy with LGBTQ Clients
- Coolhart, D. & Martin, T.K. (2022). Gender affirmative therapy with trans and gender expansive (TGE) youth and families: Listening to youth and thoughtfully following their lead. Handbook of LGBTQ-Affirmative Couple and Family Therapy
- Martin, T.K. (2022). Fitness Saved Me. Trans Bodies Trans Selves
- Martin, T. K., Coolhart, D, Coppola, J., Paterson, J. (2021) Working with Trans Clients and Their Families. Family Therapy Magazine, 20, 2.
- Martin, T. K. (2020). Transgender congruence and sexual satisfaction in trans masculine adults: The role of affirmative sexual partners. ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global.
- Martin, T.K. & Coolhart, D. (2019). “Because your dysphoria gets in the way of you… it affects everything.” The mental, physical, and relational aspects of navigating body dysphoria and sex for trans masculine people. Sexual and Relationship Therapy, 1-18.