Frequently Asked Questions About Falk College Graduate Admission for Prospective Students

Falk College graduate programs are: Exercise Science (M.S., Ph.D.), Human Development and Family Science (M.A., M.S., Ph.D.), Marriage and Family Therapy (M.A., Ph.D.), Nutrition Science (M.A., M.S.) Public Health (M.P.H., M.S.), Social Work (M.S.W.), Sport Venue and Event Management (M.S.), Certificates of Advanced Studies (CAS) are available in Addiction Studies, Global Health, Sport Analytics.

How can I apply to a Falk College graduate program?

Access the online application using the Apply online tab on the Falk website. Syracuse University does not accept paper applications.

When is the application deadline?

The priority deadline for master and certificate of advanced study programs that begin in the fall semester is February 15. Programs that allow a spring start, November 15. Applications received after priority deadlines will be considered on a space-available basis. Please note PhD Programs have firm deadlines, visit our How to Apply page for dates as they vary.

Can my application fee be waived?

A completed electronic application submitted with a $75 non-refundable fee is required. Application fees are waived for Syracuse University Alumni, veterans and McNair Scholars. Fees may be waived by admissions for AmeriCorps and Peace Corps volunteers with proper documentation and must contact to request.

Can I apply to more than one program?

You may apply to more than one program. Applicants will be charged $75 per application.

What is the minimum GPA required for the Falk College?

In general, a GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for the continuation of graduate study. No one factor determines admission. Transcripts, human service experience (if applicable), your personal statement, and letters of recommendation are all considered. Also considered is the trajectory of your academic record.

Does my program require the Graduate Record Exam (GRE)?

Falk College does not require the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) for a master program. If an applicant has a GRE score they would like to submit, they may have their scores sent to Syracuse University (institution code 2823). The GRE is required for admission to the Ph.D. programs.

What is the institution code for Syracuse University?

Syracuse University’s institution code is 2823.

Can I submit my application without GRE scores?

Applications requiring the GRE (PHD) will be reviewed upon receipt of the scores. It takes three weeks to receive official scores from the Educational Testing Services (ETS).

What GRE score do you require?

A combined GRE score in the 300 range is preferred. In general, 150 out of 170 is preferred on the verbal part,150 out of 170 on the quantitative part and 4 out of 6 on the writing part.

How do I submit letters of recommendation?

Three letters of recommendation are required for applicants applying to graduate degree programs (two are required for Certificates of Advanced Study programs). Recommendations should be from at least two academic sources. Applicants will register recommenders through the online application system providing the full name, title, and organization and email address of the recommender. The recommender will receive an email notification, which will include a cover sheet and a rating sheet to access the applicant’s abilities and will be required to attach a recommendation on the letterhead of the organization they represent. Please note recommenders will receive a notification as soon as their name is registered. Unsealed letters or emails will not be accepted from the applicant.

Are interviews required?

Interviews are not required for master programs. Ph.D. programs in Exercise Science, Marriage and Family Therapy and Human Development and Family Science do require an interview.

Do I need to submit a writing sample?

A writing sample is not a required component of the application. However, if you have a sample that you think would strengthen your application you are welcome to add it.

How long does it take to process my application?

Falk College reviews applications on a rolling basis. In general, once your application has been completed, it takes about two weeks for a decision to be made. There are times, such as during holidays and exams, in which a decision may take longer.

How will I know if my application is complete?

You can check your application status online by activating your S.U. NetID through the ITS Self-Serv portal.By signing onto MySlice and clicking on the “Admissions To Do Items” you will see any missing application materials.

How will I find out if I am admitted?

You will be contacted either by phone or email by your department. You also will receive a notification via email from the Dean of the S.U.’s Graduate School and a congratulatory letter from the Dean of Falk College.

What if I am denied?

If you are denied you will receive a letter from Falk Admissions informing you of the committee decision.

Can I find out why I was denied?

As a matter of protocol, we do not give reasons for denying an applicant. Our graduate programs are very selective and have limited capacity for new students.

Can I reapply if my application has been denied?

Application materials are retained for one year. If you reapply within the year, only your personal statement and resume need to be re-submitted. However, additional materials may be required by your department. If you apply after one year, you will have to submit a new application with new documentation. Official test scores such as GRE or TOEFL are retained on file and are valid for 5 years from the date of the test. Please email us at if you plan to reapply.

Am I allowed to defer my admission?

Students are eligible to defer one time, within the year. To make the request to defer send an email to Falk admissions at Please note any financial aid awarded, will not be deferred.

How do I accept my admission?

To formally matriculate students must submit the signed Intent to Register (ITR) and email to

When should I return my Intent to Register?

To ensure a seat in your program you should submit your Intent to Register (ITR) by April 15th. Admitted students who submit after that date will be considered on a space available basis and may be deferred to the next available semester. Students who have been awarded an assistantship or merit scholarship, must submit their ITR by April 15th.

Do I need to pay a tuition deposit?

Falk College does not requires a tuition deposit.

How do I decline admission?

To decline admission you can select the “I do not plan to attend Syracuse University, please withdraw my application at this time” on the intent to register and return to You may also decline admission by sending a brief message to, stating your full name, SUID and program you are declining. You will receive a confirmation email stating your application has been withdrawn.

What types of merit aid do you offer?

Falk College offers merit aid in the form of merit credits and assistantships. Most awards are partial awards in an effort to spread as much aid to as many candidates as possible. There are no full scholarships at the master level.

When will I find out if I have been awarded merit-based aid or an assistantship?

Financial aid decisions begin in mid-March, finalized no later than April 1, at which time you will be contacted by email from the department. Students who receive financial offers have until April 15 to accept.

How much does the program cost?

Syracuse University’s graduate programs charge per credit hour. To see current tuition rates see the graduate cost of attendance.

Do you offer housing for graduate students?

Currently, there is limited availability of university housing for graduate students. To find accommodations off-campus we recommend you visit the Office of Off-Campus and Commuter Services website before you begin your housing search. They give tips on signing a lease and neighborhood information, as well as apartment listings. Please note Syracuse University does not offer recommendations or endorsements.

Do I need to submit official transcripts with my application?

Transcripts are required from all post-secondary institutions from which applicants have earned or will earn a degree. Transcripts are required from other institutions where an applicant has earned pre-requisite courses/credits specific to the program they are applying unless those courses and grades are listed on the degree bearing transcripts.

Unofficial transcripts are accepted for application review. Official transcripts are required if an applicant is admitted and matriculates. It is necessary to provide enrollment management with an official transcript showing certification for a bachelor degree by the end of the first semester of graduate study. Students, who have submitted a FAFSA and will receive federal financial aid, must show degree certification prior to receiving funds (mid-August).

Can I take Falk graduate courses on a non-matriculated basis?

Students who hold a bachelor degree from an accredited institution may take courses on a non-matriculated basis if there is space available and with the permission of the instructor. Successful performance as a non-matriculated student does not guarantee admittance into a graduate degree program. Applicants should not take more than six credits, before applying.

Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

Do I need to submit English Language Proficiency Documentation?

International applicants from non-English speaking countries must provide a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Duolingo score unless they attended an accredited institution whose instruction is in English. In general a TOEFL score of 96 or higher or an IELTS of 7 or higher and a Duolingo of 120 is required. The exception is Nutrition where a TOEFL of at least 100 or an IELTS of 7.5, is required.

Do you offer conditional admission for language?

You can apply to the Falk graduate programs as a conditional admit for language, providing you meet the program criteria and are near the required TOEFL outlined above. Conditionally admitted students for language will first enter the SU English Language Institute (ELI) and upon increasing your skills to the required level, will be fully admitted. Or you can enter the ELI without applying, as a full time non-matriculated, non-credit student for up to 18 months and apply to the program while are you here. Keep in mind this route does not guarantee admission.

When do I have to submit my financial statement?

International applicants must provide documentation indicating sufficient means to fund the first year of graduate study (in order to receive an authorized student visa). For more information, please visit the Cost of Attendance for International Students.

Where do I submit proof of finances after conditionally admitted?

Email or fax proof of sufficient funds to or 315-443-3423, following the instructions you received from the Graduate School with your conditional acceptance letter.

Do I need to submit a translated transcript?

As an international student at Syracuse University, you may need your transcript evaluated by an education service such as the World Education Services (WES), to be sure you meet our requirements and have an equivalent 4-year degree.

Do you accept a three-year degree?

All students must hold, or be in the process of receiving, a bachelor degree from the U.S. or its equivalent. To consider a three-year degree a WES evaluation stating its equivalency or an additional year of study of a post-graduate diploma or similar will be required.