Applying to Syracuse University
Applicants to graduate programs in the Falk College must hold or expect to receive a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, prior to the start of the intended enrollment term. Admission decisions are determined by departmental review of faculty from each graduate program evaluating applications carefully, considering all materials submitted, and then selecting the best-qualified candidates.
We strongly recommend submitting your application materials early. Recommendations, transcripts, and test scores (where applicable) can often take several weeks to arrive..
Marriage & Family Therapy PhD Program: December 15th
Human Development and Family Science PhD: January 15
All Master and CAS programs: Accepting applications now
Spring term (where available): November 15
Applications accepted after these deadlines are subject to space availability.
Prospective students must apply via the online application. This method allows us to process your application faster and more efficiently, allowing you to upload all application materials.
Required Application Materials
- Personal Statement: Falk College is committed to educating and preparing practitioners and scholars to work with individuals, families, and communities. Please submit a personal essay of 600-800 words that addresses: why you have selected your program; your professional goals; and what academic, personal and professional experiences you possess which makes you a good candidate for your chosen program.
- Official Transcripts: Transcripts are required from all post-secondary institutions from which applicants have earned or will earn a degree. Transcripts are required from other institutions where an applicant has earned pre-requisite courses/credits specific to the program they are applying, unless those courses and grades are listed on the degree bearing transcripts.
Unofficial transcripts are accepted for application review. Official transcripts are required if an applicant is admitted and matriculates. It is necessary to provide enrollment management with an official transcript showing certification of a bachelor’s degree by the end of the first semester of graduate study. Students, who have submitted a FAFSA and will receive federal financial aid, must show degree certification prior to receiving funds (mid-August).
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required for applicants applying to graduate degree programs (two are required for Certificates of Advanced Study programs). Recommendations should be from at least two academic sources. Applicants will register recommenders through the online application system providing the full name, title and organization and email address of the recommender. The recommender will receive an email notification, which will include a cover sheet and a rating sheet to access the applicant’s abilities and will be required to attach a recommendation on letterhead of the organization they represent. Please note recommenders will receive notification as soon as their name is registered. Unsealed letters or emails will not be accepted from the applicant.
- Standardized Test Scores: Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are required for all degree programs except the Master of Social Work program and Certificates of Advanced Study. The Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) will be accepted by special request for the Sport Venue and Event Management degree program, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants may self-report their unofficial scores on the application, but must request their official scores sent to Syracuse University (institution code 2823).
- Resume: A resume describing employment history; academic honors; scholastic recognition; publications; leadership roles and/or other academic, professional, and community activities.
- Application and Fee: A completed electronic application submitted with a $75 non-refundable fee is required. Application fees are waived for veterans, McNair Scholars and all SU alumni. Fees may be waived by admissions for AmeriCorps and Peace Corps volunteers with proper documentation and must contact email@example.com to request. We are accepting applications now, apply today.
- International Student Language Proficiency Documentation: The TOEFL is required for applicants for whom English is not the primary language. Scores no more than two years old will be accepted. Applications will not be reviewed until TOEFL scores have been received. Required scores vary by program and are outlined on the individual application instruction pages. Applicants with a degree from an accredited institution whose instruction is in English can request a waiver by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Student Financial Documents: International applicants must provide documentation indicating sufficient means to fund the first year of graduate study (in order to receive an authorized student visa). For more information, please visit the Cost of Attendance for International Students page.
Check your application status online by activating your SU NetID using your Syracuse University identification (SUID) number. Access MySlice to sign into your account. The “Admissions To Do Items” will list any missing application materials.
Questions about your application and materials may be directed to the Falk College Admissions office, email@example.com or call 315-443-5555.