Applying to Syracuse University
Applicants to graduate programs in the Falk College must hold or expect to receive a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, prior to the start of the intended enrollment term. Admission decisions are determined by departmental review of faculty from each graduate program evaluating applications carefully, considering all materials submitted, and then selecting the best-qualified candidates.
Application deadlines for a master or certificate of advanced study program:
- Summer 2023: February 1, 2023, Priority deadline*
- Fall 2023: February 1, 2023, Priority deadline*
- Spring 2023: November 15, 2022
*Applications received by the February 1st priority deadline will have first consideration for departmental financial aid. Decisions will be made approximately two weeks after an application becomes complete.
Application deadlines PhD programs:
- Fall 2023 Exercise Science: January 15, 2023*
- Fall 2023 Human Development and Family Science: January 15, 2023*
- Fall 2023 Marriage and Family Therapy: December 15, 2022*
*Applications for PhD programs received after the deadline will not be considered. Decision timelines may vary by program. All candidates will be required to interview and meet with the committee.
Prospective students must apply via the online application. This method allows us to process your application faster and more efficiently, allowing you to upload all application materials.
Required Application Materials
- Personal Statement: The personal statement is an important component of your application, which tells the committee about yourself and demonstrates your writing skills. Submit a personal essay of 600-800 words which addresses: why you have selected your program; your professional goals; and what academic, personal and professional experiences you possess which would make you a good candidate for your chosen program.
- Official Transcripts: Transcripts are required from all post-secondary institutions from which applicants have earned or will earn a degree. Transcripts are required from other institutions where an applicant has earned pre-requisite courses/credits specific to the program they are applying, unless those courses and grades are listed on the degree bearing transcripts.
Unofficial transcripts are accepted for application review. If admitted, official transcripts showing certification of a bachelor’s degree will be required to be submitted to the registrar’s office by the end of the first semester of graduate study. Students, who have submitted a FAFSA and will receive federal financial aid, must show degree certification prior to receiving funds (mid-August).
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of recommendation are required for applicants applying to graduate degree programs and are critical to the application process. Recommendations should be from at least two academic sources.*
Applicants will register recommenders through the online application system providing the full name, title and organization and email address of the recommender. The recommender will receive an email notification, which will include a cover sheet and a rating sheet to assess the applicant’s abilities and will be required to attach a recommendation on letterhead of the organization they represent. Please note recommenders will receive notification as soon as their name is registered.
*While we prefer to see at least two academic recommendations, we understand that many have been out of the academic realm. We will accept recommendations from anyone who has supervised you in a work, internship or volunteer capacity.
- Standardized Test Scores: : Falk College no longer requires the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) for master programs. If an applicant has a GRE score they would like to submit they may have their scores sent to Syracuse University (institution code 2823). The GRE is required for admission to the PhD programs.
- Resume: A resume describing employment history; academic honors; scholastic recognition; publications; leadership roles and/or other academic, professional, and community activities.
- Application and Fee: A completed electronic application submitted with a $75 non-refundable fee is required. Application fees are waived for veterans, McNair Scholars and all SU alumni. Fees may be waived by admissions for AmeriCorps and Peace Corps volunteers with proper documentation and must contact email@example.com to request.
- International Student Language Proficiency Documentation: The TOEFL (96), IELTS (7) or Duolingo (130) is required for applicants for whom English is not the primary language.*
*Applicants with a degree from an accredited institution whose instruction is in English can request a waiver by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Student Financial Documents: International applicants must provide documentation indicating sufficient means to fund the first year of graduate study to receive an authorized student visa. For more information, please visit Cost of Attendance for International Students page.
Questions about your application and materials may be directed to the Falk College Admissions office, email@example.com or call 315-443-5555.