Frequently Asked Questions for M.F.T. Online Master

Is the M.F.T. Online Program accredited?

Yes, the program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE).

Are there multiple start dates for the online M.F.T. degree program or is there one start date per year for the program?

We have three start dates (Fall, Spring, Summer).

What are the application requirements for the program?

The application requirements include: academic transcripts, three letters of recommendation, and your personal statement. There is also a required video interview component on the application itself. Due to covid, the GRE requirement has currently been waived. However, this may again be required post-covid. Please confirm with Falk Admissions when you are ready to apply.

What is the video interview?

The short video interview component of the application gives the committee a chance to get to know you better. You will be asked a few general questions about your interests and goals. It takes no more than 5 minutes to complete.

When applying to the M.F.T. M.A. Programs – can the GRE be waived for students who already have a master?

Yes. At this time the GREs are waived if you have a completed master.

What is the total cost for the M.F.T. online program and do you assist with scholarships for incoming students?

The MFT programs (Residential, Online, and Ph.D.) recently received a tuition reduction. The tuition costs are available on the Syracuse University website. Falk College does not provide any additional scholarships.

Is the M.F.T. online program available to international students?

International students living in the U.S. and willing to do a U.S. placement are welcome to apply to the program. Currently, the program is not available to international students living outside the U.S.

Can Remitted Tuition Benefits be used?

If you are a Syracuse University employee with remitted tuition benefits, they can be used for the M.F.T. M.A. Online Program. Outside agency remitted tuition cannot be used for online programs at Syracuse University.

Is the M.F.T. M.A. Online Program full-time and part-time?

The M.F.T. M.A. Online Program is part-time only. Typically, students will take 6 credits per semester (three semesters per year). The last two semesters of the program are 9 credits. The average completion time for the degree is expected to be three years (dependent on completion of clinical hours). Consideration may eventually be given to requests to take additional coursework each semester on a case-by-case basis, but it will not necessarily speed up how long it takes to complete the program. Department permission is needed before any additional courses can be taken in any given semester.

How long will it take to complete the M.F.T. online program?

The average completion time for the degree is expected to be three years (dependent on completion of clinical hours).

What are the clinical hour requirements for the M.F.T. online program?

The clinical hour requirement to graduate is 500 total hours with 250 being relational. Only client contact in therapy sessions counts for these hours. Check to see if your state allows you to count different hours so that you can track these for licensure (not graduation). You are required to have a minimum of 100 hours of supervision. 50 of these will need to include raw session data – audio, video or live. Supervision must remain in a 1 to 5 ratio with therapy for the therapy hours to count. Note that clinical hours are completed in a placement in your geographic location.

Can I relocate while in my internship?

Moving during the practicum series of courses (M.F.T. 760, 761, 762, and 763; 4 semesters) is not advised. If a student relocates requiring a different placement, the student may not be able to complete the required clinical hours to graduate.

Are there residencies that are required? If so, how many?

The residencies are not required.

What is the campus residency requirement? When is it offered?

We offer a non-mandatory residency once each year (spring). You only need to attend once, if you choose to do so. Although you are not required to attend, we do encourage you to attend if at all possible. This will be a 3-day experience (plus travel days) that will take place on the Syracuse University campus. All online students are invited to attend. The residency is meant to facilitate engagement across cohorts and provide networking and mentoring opportunities. This will be an intense learning opportunity that will incorporate seminars, workshops, guest lectures, and peer discussions. Students will be responsible for travel, lodging, meals, and any other necessary costs.

What are the costs associated with the residency?

Student costs of the residency will include lodging, travel, transportation, food, and any other necessary expenses. Falk College does not assist with these costs.

Do you accept transfer credits, if so, how many?

We can accept up to 18 credits from a COAMFTE accredited M.F.T. program. For those not transferring from a COAMFTE accredited M.F.T. program, the maximum number of transfer credits is 12. All transfer credits must be reviewed by the department for appropriateness. There is no guarantee that credits will be transferred in.

Is the dual MSW/MFT degree option available online?

The Dual Degree is not available online.

When will I be assigned a faculty advisor?

At the beginning of your first semester a faculty advisor will be assigned and will assist with the development of your degree program. Staff are available to assist with questions prior to that time, if needed.

What is the structure of the program and what is the course delivery format?

This also is described in detail in the Student Handbook. Generally, it is a 60-credit, accredited master. Courses are delivered online synchronously (with asynchronous components), with considerable video and student participation.

Does it matter which state I live in as far as clinical placements and licensing goes?

Each state has its own licensing requirements. Students must check with the licensing board of their home state to determine if the online M.F.T. master at Syracuse University will meet state requirements for licensure. Individual state licensing requirements can be found on the The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy website. For those looking to be licensed in California, you may need to take two more classes in California during or post M.A. Kansas and New Hampshire licensure requirements currently have restrictions for online education. Please check with your licensing board to determine if online education meets your state’s requirements. The Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico do not license M.F.T.s. The online degree program at Syracuse University meets licensing requirements for New York State.

How will I get a clinical placement?

You are required to find your own clinical placement, but the M.F.T. Department (Online Internship Coordinator) will assist with developing each clinical placement site. Placement sites must provide couple and family therapy services and offer opportunities for direct contact with clients, including relational sessions. In addition, there must be a supervisor at the site who is licensed and meets standards for supervisors (as listed in the handbook).

Will I get help finding a placement?

Yes, although the primary responsibility will rest with the student. The M.F.T. Department at SU is not responsible for finding the Practicum site or clinical supervisor for students. The student is responsible to identify the Practicum site and connect the Internship Coordinator with the site to arrange the steps and requirements to formalize the internship placement.

Can online students use The Couple and Family Therapy Center as an internship placement?

The Couple and Family Therapy Center cannot be considered as an internship site for online students.

How does one complete the practicum process online?

Practicum is not completed online; it involves a clinical placement in the community/region in which the student resides. Once students reach their internship (M.F.T. 760, 761, 762, and 763), it is important that they plan to stay in one place to complete their hours.

Does my placement supervisor have to be approved by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)?

Placement supervisors must be approved by the SU Internship Coordinator prior to beginning placement. Clinical supervisor qualifications must include the following:

  1. demonstration of professional identity as a marriage and family therapist, and
  2. demonstration of training in MFT relational/systemic supervision by one of the following:
    • a graduate course in MFT relational/systemic supervision equivalent to three semester-credit hours;
    • postgraduate professional education in MFT relational/systemic supervision of at least 30 clock hours;
    • a state established MFT supervisor designation that includes relational/systemic supervision training;
    • designation as an AAMFT Approved Supervisor or AAMFT Approved Supervisor Candidate.

At what point do M.F.T. students begin to see clients?

In the first semester of Practicum (M.F.T. 760).

Will there be any added fees along with the tuition cost? What are they for and how much?

See “What are the costs associated with the residency?” above.

What is the tuition for Syracuse University?

Syracuse University’s graduate programs charge per credit hour. To see current tuition rates, see the Syracuse University graduate cost of attendance.

Are there any scholarships or Financial Aid options available?

Students can apply for student loans by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. There are no Falk College scholarships available.

If I have to take a semester or two off, can I come back and pick up where I left off?

Any changes to the student’s degree plan will require consultation with, and approval of, the academic advisor. Arrangements can be made for changes in the course schedule, however, clinical placements are much more difficult to adjust or change.

What exactly are the licensing requirements?

Each state has its own licensing requirements. The website and the Student Handbook has links to the various state licensing boards. Individual state licensing requirements can be found at

How do I apply?

The application is available from our website on the “How To Apply” page.

Financial Aid?

Financial aid for the Marriage and Family Therapy Online program at Syracuse University, will be administered through University College, which is the home of part-time studies and online programs at Syracuse University.

For FAFSA, students should go to Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Graduate students are eligible for federal unsubsidized (unsub) direct and graduate plus loans, the same as main campus residential students. Unsub first, then Grad PLUS. Grad PLUS will require a separate application at Both loan options are under the “Apply for Aid” menu at the top of the screen. Student must max out the direct Unsub loan first, which is offered after receiving FAFSA results. The Grad PLUS also requires a mini-credit check that the Department of Education has set up as part of the Grad PLUS application.

Financial Aid Contacts?

Students whose last names begin with A-J can contact Sana’a El-Amir at and students whose last names begin with K-Z can contact Janet Lafata at The office coordinator, David MacDonald at can answer general questions like “did you get my FAFSA yet”.

Email- NetID and Email?

To set up Net ID, you will need your SUID, which you received from enrollment management upon applying. Using your unique student ID number you will be able to set up your NETID for MySlice access on Syracuse University’s Self Serve site. MySlice is the portal which you can access your enrollment, grades, blackboard and so on. If you have any problems with the set-up call 315-443-2677 and they will help you. After you set up your NETID, you will also be able to set up your SU email account. This is where you will receive SU related information. If you have problems, you can contact them at 315-443-2677.

How can I find out more about the Marriage and Family Therapy Online program?

For more information, please visit our website, call 315-443-5555, email, or fill out the online graduate inquiry form.

Where can I find additional information about the online master?

Information about the online program can be found at Marriage and Family Therapy Academic Programs M.F.T. M.A. Online program page and on the main page for Marriage and Family Therapy Department.

When is the next graduate student information session being held?

To learn more about upcoming virtual information sessions or to sign up for an individual virtual information session, visit the graduate virtual events page.