S.P.M. Week – Students and Professionals Meet Week
Alumni of Sport Management from Falk College at Syracuse University can serve as hosts for the job shadowing program. Offered during SU’s winter break in January 2019, these are unpaid opportunities that vary in length, depending on student and alumni availability, providing an inside look at a job, firm, career field, or industry. This is the inaugural year for the job shadowing program.
All job shadowing will take place January 7-11, 2019.
- Alumni hosts are expected to introduce their profession, industry and/or organization; provide a tour of the workplace; answer questions; and most importantly, allow a student to observe their daily routine.
- Students are responsible for transporting themselves to and from the job shadowing site, locating and paying for any necessary lodging, researching the organization in advance, and coming prepared with questions.
- The specific shadowing date(s) as well as schedule of experience will be decided upon by the student and host after the selection process is complete.
- Both students and alumni will be required to complete a survey after the experience is completed.
How to Participate
Alumni or parents of current students or alumni interested in hosting a student over winter break can complete the online registration form linked below. The application to be a host will be open from November 5 through November 19. Hosts will be notified of a match by November 28. Students will contact alumni to finalize details of the shadowing experience.
Complete the interest form linked below and make sure you upload your resume before submitting your application. The deadline to apply to shadow an alumnus is November 19. Students will be notified of a match by November 28.
Students will be required to attend an on-campus workshop on December 7 at 1:00pm in Falk College Room 104. Details will be shared with all applicants in advance.
Sport Management will email all hosts applications from students interested in their shadowing experience. Students will be notified if they have been selected to shadow an alumnus. The student and alumnus will be put in contact with each other to schedule the specific shadowing date(s). If more than one student applies for an experience, the host will determine how many and which students he or she is willing to take. Students can apply for up to three shadowing opportunities. Students must have completed SPM 201. Students are not guaranteed placement in this program.
Suggested job shadowing experiences:
- Give a tour of the organization
- Shadow alumnus and/or colleagues in different departments during the day
- Observe general office tasks, staff meetings, and/or interactions of one or more departments
- Observe client interactions or assist clients directly, if able
- Experience an employee demonstration of industry-specific software or tools
- Review the organization’s website, mission, marketing collateral, and organizational charts
- Enjoy a meal with alumnus sponsor or others (typical of what staff might do if lunching together)
- Conduct informational interviews with different employees to understand the firm, industry, future trends, and career paths within this field
- Meet with HR staff to understand what they look for when hiring college graduates
- Meet with additional Orange alumni who work within the organization
- Meet a new employee to get a “fresh perspective”
The student and alumnus host should discuss the goal of the shadowing experience beforehand to ensure that both are able to reach their goals.