Join Our Program

Interested in HDFS?

If you are interested in a career in human development and family science (HDFS) and would like to join our program at Syracuse University, we are excited to speak with you. Please contact Falk College Admissions today to speak with a counselor, or use the form below to connect with us.

Are you interested in graduate or undergraduate programs?

Are you a current Syracuse University undergraduate student?

The HDFS program complements many other majors at Syracuse University. Students who are already enrolled in another program at Syracuse University can apply for an Intra-University Transfer into HDFS. Students in a program outside Falk College who meet the program’s admissions criteria are considered on a rolling basis. Students enrolled in another Falk College program can change their major to HDFS or add HDFS as a second major.

Current Syracuse University undergraduate students who wish to enter our program must meet the following requirements:

  • Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
  • Completed a minimum of 12 credit hours of academic coursework at Syracuse University
  • Make satisfactory academic progress
  • Express academic and career interests in the area of human development and family science

If you are ready to take the next step, please submit the HDFS Major Inquiry form and schedule an appointment with the HDFS Director of Undergraduate Studies to discuss your interests in the major and your prospects for completing it. The director will decide if you are a good fit for the program.

If you are approved you will then need to complete a Intra-University Transfer form if you are currently enrolled in a Syracuse University program outside of Falk College or fill out a Declaration of Major form if you are already enrolled in a program within Falk College. If you are not accepted into the major you may appeal the decision to the HDFS Undergraduate Committee. The decision from this committee is final.

For more information about transferring into our program please contact Kathy Rainone at

Are you a current Syracuse University graduate student?

If you are already pursuing a graduate degree at Syracuse University or have received a graduate degree from Syracuse University within the past 12 months you can apply for an HDFS graduate degree using the Internal Admissions Process.

You must be a graduate student who:

  • is currently enrolled or has completed a degree from another program within Syracuse University and would like to pursue a MA/MS/PhD degree in HDFS;
  • has completed a MS in HDFS and wishes to be admitted to the PhD program in HDFS;
  • is currently enrolled in a MA or MS program in HDFS at Syracuse University but would like to enroll in the PhD program.

Graduate students who are in one of the above mentioned categories should complete the Graduate Enrollment Internal Admission Application form.

Along with obtaining the necessary signatures, graduate students must also:

  • provide all official degree transcript(s)*,
  • provide a statement of research interests,
  • provide three letters of recommendation (external or internal)*
  • complete and return forms and required documents by January 15th to Kathy Rainone (, 144 White Hall.

*Graduate students who have recommendations on file in the HDFS department from having applied for and/or obtained a HDFS degree need only two letters of recommendations from HDFS faculty who are familiar with their work. If official transcripts are on file in the HDFS department, they do not need to be resubmitted.

Graduate students who received a graduate degree from Syracuse University more than 12 months ago and are not currently pursuing a graduate degree at Syracuse University should not use the Graduate Enrollment Internal Admission Application form but should apply online instead.