Guidance for Faculty Research and Student Thesis and Dissertation Projects

Faculty members considering new research projects that require external funding should look for possible funders on the databases available on the Syracuse University’s Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) website.

The Community of Science (COS) Funding Opportunities database is among the most comprehensive available, containing over 400,000 research funding programs covering the humanities and the physical, social, and life sciences. Faculty can use COS to publicize research capabilities, identify peer reviewers, discover prospective collaborators for on-going or prospective research projects and manage CVs online. All college faculty members, graduate students and post-doctoral fellows are eligible to have published research profiles in the COS Expertise database.

In addition to COS, faculty and students may search Grant Advisor Plus, which catalogs opportunities in all major disciplines or the National Research Council for post-doctoral and senior research associateship programs.

The Office of Sponsored Programs will assist faculty to identify potential support for their activities. Faculty are invited to first explore available searchable funding databases or sites, and then to contact OSP if additional assistance is needed.

College faculty who experience problems with accessing the searchable funding databases or OSP support should contact the College’s Associate Dean for Research for further assistance at 315-443-5929.